Thursday, February 26, 2015

S&S super E

     I must admit that I bought an S&S for this bike because they are a traditional carburetor, and they look good.  I think the biggest problem people have with a super E is adjusting them when they don't know what they are doing.  Returning them to a factory baseline will usually make a bike run so you can fine tune it.

     I didn't want to unfuck a used carb so I bought mine brand new.  I've had several kick start bikes in the past and I've always been able to tune them to the point they were easy to start reliably. Even my 1967 Kawasaki 350 Avenger two stroke twin with 2 carbs was a 1 kick hot 2 kick cold motorcycle.

     I modified my idle speed adjustment screw to be easily adjusted without tools.  I cut the head off a machine screw, green Loctited a lamp shade knob to it, and used an appropriate length spring for tension so I could turn up the idle speed when cold.  My experience with S&S super E carbs is they start pretty easy but if you leave them on the enrichener for very long they foul out the plugs.  I will now be able to figure out if the bike likes an extra 3/4 turn of idle screw when kick starting and warm it up with a high idle instead of using the enrichener to keep it running when cold.


I scratched a line into the knob with my hacksaw to keep track of how far I have turned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment